Entebbe is a major town in Uganda located on the Northern shores of Lake Victoria; the largest lake in Africa shared by the three East African countries that include Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. It was the seat for the British Colonial government before Uganda’s independence. Currently, Entebbe still is the seat for the Ugandan government and State House, the official office and residence of the President of Uganda.
Entebbe International Airport, Uganda’s largest commercial and military Airport is also located in Entebbe with its Airport best known for the dramatic rescue of 100 hostages aboard a plane by commandos of the Israeli Defense Forces on 4th July 1976. The plane was held hostage by military under the command of then President of Uganda General Idi Amin Dada.
The word Entebbe was derived from a Luganda word e’entebe which means “seat”/ “chair” therefore the British simply called it Entebbe. Entebbe town is in the central district of Wakiso covering approximately 37 kilometers (23 mi) southwest of Kampala with its Municipality covering 57.2 square kilometers (21.7 mi) out of which about 20 square kilometers (7.7 mi) is eaten up by water on the peninsula into Lake Victoria with a distance of 40.7 kilometers (approximately 1 hour drive) from Kampala City.
Entebbe experiences tropical rainforest climate basing on the Koppen climate classification that indicates the town has no real dry season the entire year. The driest season is January with raindrops totaling to 65 millimeters while the wettest season is April with raindrops totaling to 256 millimeters with temperature moderated by the altitude. The hottest month is February with average temperature 22.8 °C (73.0 °F), and the coolest month is July with average temperature 20.6 °C (69.1 °F).
Entebbe Tourist attractions
- The extensive National Botanical Gardens, laid out in 1898 exists in Entebbe up to date.
- Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) is also situated in Entebbe.
- Entebbe is the location of the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre (UWEC) serving as the national zoo. The entrance to the Centre is located near the jetty.
- Entebbe has Nkumba University, one of over 30 recognized institutions of tertiary education in Uganda.
- State House, the official residence of the President of Uganda is also found here.
- Kigungu where the first catholic missionaries Brother Amans and Father Mon Maple Lourdel landed to establish the catholic faith in Uganda is as well situated in Entebbe.
- The oldest golf course in East Africa known as Entebbe Golf Club established in 1900 surrounded by the Uganda Wildlife Education Centre, former Entebbe Zoo lies south in Entebbe.
- The head office of the Ministry of Works and Transport is in Entebbe together with the head office of the Ugandan Civil Aviation Authority on the property of Entebbe International Airport.
CAR RENTAL IN ENTEBBE – Planning to visit Entebbe or already in town and looking for private transportation or airport transfer ,you can rent a car in Entebbe with Tristar Africa Skimmer Safaris and explore any destination within this beautiful town or outside.
To book a tour or car for self drive in Entebbe town,simply send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or callus now on +256-758540071 to speak with the reservations team.